작성자 금선사 작성일11-05-12 18:33 조회3,978회 댓글0건

본문

달라이라마, 본지 통해 한국불자에게 봉축메시지 전달
타인을 불교도로 개종시키는 것은 중요하지 않아
남을 돕거나 해치지 않는 것이 곧 부처님 가르침

2011.05.11 10:14 입력 발행호수 : 1096 호

13050779021219.jpg
▲달라이라마

세계적으로 가장 존경받는 종교지도자이자 티베트의 정신적 스승인 달라이라마가 불기 2555년 부처님오신날을 맞아 5월9일 본지에 한국불자들에게 보내는 봉축메시지를 전해왔다. 이에 번역문과 원문을 전문 게재한다. 편집자 

불교의 궁극적인 목적은 인간을 섬기고 이롭게 하는 것입니다. 우리의 불교 가르침에 따라 인류사회에 기여하는 공헌에 비한다면 타인을 불교도로 개종시키는 것은 그다지 중요하지 않습니다. 부처님께서는 타인을 이타적으로 섬김으로써 만족과 관용의 모범을 우리에게 보여 주셨습니다. 능력이 되면 남을 돕고, 능력이 미치지 못하면 최소한 남을 해치지 않는 것이 부처님의 근본 가르침입니다.

불교의 가르침과 방법이 현대사회에서도 여전히 적합한지에 대해서 종종 질문을 받습니다. 다른 종교와 마찬가지로 불교는 근본적인 인간의 문제들을 다루고 있습니다. 생로병사의 근본적인 인간 문제들을 우리가 계속 겪을 수밖에 없는 한에서는 불교의 시대 적합성에 대해서는 이론의 여지가 없습니다. 핵심은 내적 평화입니다. 우리가 이를 유지한다면, 내적 행복을 유지하면서 평정과 합리성으로 어려움에 대처할 수 있게 됩니다. 사랑, 친절, 관용, 비폭력의 가르침과 특히 모든 것은 서로 관련돼 있다는 불교 이론은 내적 평화의 원천이 됩니다.

한국과 티베트 민족은 상호 공통적인 면이 많습니다. 두 민족 모두 부처님의 가르침을 오랫동안 배우고 수행해 온 것이 그 한 측면입니다. 또 다른 측면은 지난 세기 두 민족은 모두 대격변을 겪었다는 점입니다. 티베트 스승들과 함께 공부하고, 티베트 경전의 한국어 번역을 준비하는 등 최근 많은 한국 불자들이 티베트 불교에 관심을 갖게 되었습니다. 이것은 좋은 모습이며, 조만간 티베트인들도 또한 한국 불교 전통에 참여할 수 있게 되기를 바랍니다. 부처님오신날을 맞아 부처님 법 수행이 널리 퍼져서 모든 중생이 평화와 행복을 찾는데 기여하기를 기도하면서 한국 불자들께 축하를 드립니다.

달라이라마

The ultimate purpose of Buddhism is to serve and benefit humanity. Converting other people to Buddhism is unimportant in comparison with the contribution we Buddhists can make to human society according to our own ideas. The Buddha gave us an example of contentment and tolerance, through serving others unselfishly. His teaching is essentially to help others if you can and if you cannot, at least not to harm them.

I am often asked whether the teachings and techniques of Buddhism continue to be relevant in the present day and age. Like all religions, Buddhism deals with basic human problems. So long as we continue to experience the basic human sufferings of birth, disease, old age, and death, there is no question of whether it is relevant or not. The key is inner peace. If we have that we can face difficulties with calm and reason, while keeping our inner happiness. The teachings of love, kindness and tolerance, the conduct of non-violence, and especially the Buddhist theory that all things are relative are a source of that inner peace.

The peoples of Korea and Tibet have much in common. On the one hand is our long-standing study and practice of the teachings of the Buddha. On the other is the great upheaval our two peoples faced in the middle of the last century. More recently many Korean Buddhists have been taking interest in Tibetan Buddhism, studying with Tibetan teachers, preparing translations of Tibetan texts into Korean and so forth. This is good and I hope that in time Tibetans too may be able to participate in Korean traditions. On the occasion of the anniversary of the Buddha’s birthday, I offer my greetings to followers of the Buddha in Korea, with prayers that the practice of his teachings may flourish, contributing to all sentient beings finding peace and happiness.

The Dalai Lama
May 9, 2011

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

상단으로